The State Approving Agency, together with the federal government, manages veterans' education benefits. The State Approving Agency's (SAA) role is to approve and supervise the programs of education and training for eligible veterans, dependents, National Guard members, and reservists. The SAA must specifically approve each plan of education or training in which a veteran or eligible person wishes to use GI. Bill® benefits. Other responsibilities include:
- Reviewing, evaluating and approving programs based on state and federal criteria
- Conducting on-site inspection visits to facilities requesting program approval
- Conducting on-site compliance visits to approved facilities
- Providing technical assistance
- Engaging in outreach activities that foster the use of the GI Bill
- Helping military installations provide base personnel with educational opportunities
Contact Chris Kratochvil, SAA Administrator for more information.
How can you use your benefit?
Veterans and eligible dependents can use their benefits in number ways. You may choose to attend a public or private college or university. You may want to attend some vocational training at a non-college degree school with a welding, barber or cosmetology program. Apprenticeship and On the Job Training is another great way of utilizing your benefits without having to go to school. You can get paid at your job while you are receiving additional funds by using your VA Education Benefits.
Education Benefits for Veterans and Current Service members
FEDERAL EDUCATION BENEFITS
Vocational Rehabilitation and Training for Veterans With a Service Connected Disability
Federal Tuition Assistance
GI Bill™ Kicker
STATE OF NORTH DAKOTA EDUCATION BENEFITS
National Guard Tuition Waiver Program
- If you are a member in good standing of the North Dakota National Guard you can may receive up 35% of your Tuition costs waived at certain institutions in the state.
- Schools that take part include Bismarck State College, Dakota College Bottineau, Dickinson State University, Lake Region State College, Mayville State University, Minot State University, ND State College of Science, North Dakota State University, University of North Dakota, University of Jamestown, University of Mary, Valley City State University, Williston State College and some Tribal college throughout the state.
Education Benefits for Dependents
FEDERAL EDUCATION BENEFITS FOR DEPENDENTS
Dependents Educational Assistance
STATE OF NORTH DAKOTA EDUCATION BENEFITS FOR DEPENDENTS
Dependent Tuition Waiver program
- Eligibility Criteria
- How to Apply - Application need to be made to the North Dakota School that you are planning on attending. Only ND Public Schools participate in this program
How to apply for your GI Bill
- Online (https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/apply.asp) or in person at the Fargo Regional Office (www.benefits.va.gov/fargo) or by calling 1-888-442-4551 (VA Hotline)
- Once approved, the member will receive their GI Bill Certificate of Eligibility. The Certificate of Eligibility (COE), also known as your award letter, in the mail if and when you are approved. Once you received your Certificate of Eligibility, you will need to bring it to your school.