As used in this chapter: NDCC 37-19.1-01
"Agency" or "governmental agency"
- means all political subdivisions and the state, including any state agency, board, bureau, commission, department, officer, and any state institution or enterprise authorized to employ individuals either temporarily or permanently.
- means the individual who is appointed by an elected or appointed official under express statutory authority to hire a chief deputy and who is authorized to act on behalf of that official. The term does not include an individual appointed to a position that must be filled under a competitive personnel system.
"Competitive personnel system"
- means a system that rates applicants for a position using an objective set of skills, knowledge, abilities, behaviors, or other characteristics required for the position.
- means a veteran who is found to be entitled to a service-connected disability rating as determined by the United States veterans' administration.
- means grounds for action that are in accord with sufficient reason that can be justified or defended as correct. Justifiable cause not to hire a veteran must be something specific to that individual which renders the individual unsuitable for the position.
- means counties, cities, townships, and any other governmental entity created by state law which employs individuals either temporarily or permanently.
- means the individual who is appointed by an elected or appointed official under express legal authority to hire a private secretary or administrative assistant and who is authorized to handle correspondence, keep files, schedule appointments, and do other clerical work of a more personal and confidential nature for that official, but does not include an individual appointed to a position that must be filled under a competitive personnel system.
- means an individual who:
- Is a veteran as defined in subsection 1 of section 37-01-40; or
- Is serving in or has been honorably discharged from the Natiuonal Guard or a Reserve unit.
As used in this chapter: NDCC 37-01-40
Is an individual who has served on continuous federalized active military duty for;
- One hundred eighty days; or
- The full period for which the individual was called; or
- Ordered to active military duty for reasons other than training; and
- Was discharged or released under other than dishonorable conditions.
- A discharge reflecting:
- "Expiration of term of service"; or
- "Completion of required service"; or
- Words to that effect qualifies the shorter term of service as making the individual a veteran.