April 24, 2018
Mark Johnson-Director of the North Dakota Veterans Home has received the American College of Health Care Administrators (ACHCA) "Eli Pick Facility Leadership Award. Only 11% of facilities nationwide qualify for the award!
The Facility Leadership Award was introduced in 2008 by one of ACHCA’s most revered leaders, the late Eli Pick. A former executive director of the Ballard Rehabilitation Center, DesPlaines, IL for over 30 years, Eli embodied excellence as an Administrator that cared for his residents, their families, and his community.
Eli worked with his colleague, John Sheridan of eHealth Data Solutions, to develop an awards program that uses data-driven criteria to objectively identify high-performing skilled nursing facilities and the leaders who make them excel.
Today, Eli Pick Facility Leadership Award recipients are identified using publicly collected data from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) QM and Survey Data, which is pulled and evaluated by an independent third party. Administrators of those high-performing SNFs are celebrated and honored during ACHCA’s national awards ceremony held at ACHCA's annual Convocation and Exposition.
The Eli Pick Facility Leadership Award (EPFLA) is a pre-selected award. The ACHCA Awards Subcommittee sends a notification letter by U.S. Mail to facilities identified as eligible to receive the award. Administrators must attest their eligibility. Notification letters arrive at eligible facilities in early January.
- The current administrator has been the administrator of record for a full calendar year.
- No survey (Health, Fire Safety and Complaint) in the past three years with a citation above “E” in Scope and Severity [Note: because CMS had not provided the K-Tag data for the past year, this criterion was temporarily not available for the 2018 awards)
- Occupancy of at least 85% as defined by CMS Survey report
- At least one CMS 4-quarter average QM score equal or better than the top 10% for the USA for the Quality Measures listed below:
- Short Stay Pain – Less than 2.065%
- Long Stay Pain – Less than or equal to 0.3499%
- Short Stay Pressure Ulcers – Less than or equal to 0.0000%
- Long Stay Pressure Ulcers – Less than or equal to 1.4388%
- Long Stay UTI – Less than or equal to 0.4724%
- Short Stay Psychotropic Meds – Less than or equal to 0.0000%
- Long Stay Psychotropic Meds – Less than or equal to 5.4901%
- If the Short Stay readmissions are added:
- Short Stay 30 Day Return to Hospital less than or equal to 13.7707%
- Short Stay Successful Discharges great than or equal to 68.4558%
- Avoidance of Special Focus Facility status
- To receive the award, all of the above conditions must be met
The Eli Pick Facility Leadership Award is a distinction of significance. Only 11% of facilities nationwide qualify. For more information about the Eli Pick Facility Leadership Award, and to view a breakdown by state of the Eli Pick facility qualifiers, click here. To view the 2018 EPFLA award finalists, click here for a list of facility names, sorted by state, with CCN numbers.