Cliff Cushman photo


Grand Forks, ND

Grand Forks

Date of Loss:

Remains not recovered

Branch of Service:
Air Force


Battalion / Task Group / Squadron or equivalent:
469th Tactical Fighter Squadron, 388th Tactical Fighter Wing

Division / Fleet / Air Force or Equivalent:
7th Air Force


North Vietnam

Captain Clifton E. Cushman was the pilot of the #2 F-105D in a flight of three that was conducting an afternoon combat mission to bomb a railroad bridge located on the northeast railroad line approximately one mile north-northeast of Kep MiG base and 29 miles northeast of Bac Giang, Lang Son Province, North Vietnam. Capt. Cushman's call sign was "Devil 2." The flight arrived in the target area on schedule and immediately checked in with the airborne battlefield command and control center (ABCCC). Devil flight was directed to begin their bomb runs on the bridge.

At 1530 hours, Devil Lead made his pass on the target followed in order by the rest of his flight. After pulling off the target, Capt. Cushman radioed that he had been hit by anti-aircraft artillery (AAA) fire and he had a fire warning light. Devil 3 asked if he could steer, Cliff Cushman replied he had "lost his stability, augmentation and aircraft power."

Devil Lead observed 37 mm AAA fire bursting to the left and rear of Devil 2 (Cushman), and told Capt. Cushman to break right. Lead then saw his afterburner light and simultaneous torch of flames coming from the right aft section of Devil 2 (Cushman)'s aircraft. Devil Lead then observed Cushman's aircraft break into several burning parts. He also saw Cliff Cushman's ejection seat arcing up and to the front of the falling wreckage. They could not find the body of Cliff Cushman anywhere. Because of the rough landscape it was nearly impossible for anyone to gain radio control. Cliff Cushman was immediately listed Missing in Action.

On November 6, 1975, Cliff Cushman was officially declared dead.

Body was not recovered.


Captain Clifton Emmet Cushman, who joined the U.S. Air Force from North Dakota, was a member of the 469th Tactical Fighter Squadron. On September 25, 1966, he piloted an F-105D Thunderchief (tail number 62-4341, call sign "Devil 02") as part of a three-plane combat mission over Haiphong, North Vietnam. As he passed over the target area, an enemy aircraft shot down Capt Cushman’s Thunderchief. No parachute was seen from "Devil 02" before it went down, and search efforts in the area failed to locate Capt Cushman’s remains. After the incident, the Air Force promoted Capt Cushman to the rank of Major (Maj). Today, Major Cushman is memorialized on the Courts of the Missing at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific.

Based on all information available, DPAA assessed the individual's case to be in the analytical category of Active Pursuit.


He was an American athlete who competed mainly in the 400 meter hurdles. He competed for the United States in the 1960 Summer Olympics held in Rome, Italy in the 400 meter hurdles where he won the silver medal. Cliff Cushman was a graduate of Grand Forks Central High School in Grand Forks, North Dakota in 1956. Cushman was an outstanding athlete while running in track for the Redskins, breaking and setting many records.

In 1990 Cushman was inducted into the Grand Forks Central Athletic Hall of Fame. After high school Cliff attended the University of Kansas where he again broke and set many track records. In 1959 Cliff took second place in the 400-meter hurdles providing Kansas with their back bone to reach their first NCAA Championship. In the next year he was named captain of the Jayhawks, in this same season he also earned most outstanding performer honors at the Kansas Relays, as well as winning the national title in the 400 meter hurdles. Again helping to provide the Jayhawks with that back bone needed to defend the NCAA Championship. His biggest achievement during his college career was during the 1960 season where Cliff Cushman became an Olympian, competing in the 1960 games in Rome. Cushman finished second overall with a time of 49.6 seconds in the 400 meter hurdles.

In 1964 Cliff Cushman hoped to compete again in the Olympics. But his hopes of winning a medal were lost when he stumbled over a hurdle at the final U.S. Olympic trial meet in Los Angeles. After that experience, Cushman wrote a letter to the Grand Forks Herald in which he asked the young people in his hometown not to feel sorry for him, but instead to set goals for themselves.

Grand Forks Central High School named its football stadium after him, Cushman Field. His picture is displayed in GFC's gymnasium, and his name is mentioned in almost every Hall of Fame cabinet. There are still records to be broken at GFC that Clifton Emmet "Cliff" Cushman set over 50 years ago.

His wife said after being informed of her husband's status: "Somewhere in Vietnam he's running the biggest race of his life. It's like watching a race in which Cliff is running - only you can't see the finish tape. He's in excellent physical condition. Cliff also has a very deep faith in God. What better combination could there be?"